The University Hospitals Kingston Foundation was created in 2005 as the joint foundation of Hotel Dieu Hospital, Kingston General Hospital and Providence Care.
Inspiring a culture of giving, for the health of our community
Enabling our community to support excellence in patient care, teaching and research at the university hospitals of Kingston, through raising funds and awareness.
In our work together, we will demonstrate that we value:
• Generosity – a readiness or liberality in giving
• Excellence – a state of extremely high quality
• Integrity – a firm adherence to a code of ethical and professional values
• Empathy – the capacity to understand another person's point of view
• Resourcefulness – the ability to act effectively or imaginatively, especially in difficult situations
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
- What is your Charitable Registration?
Our Charitable Registration number is 820218147RR0001
- Who owns the Foundation?
The foundations of our hospitals - Hotel Dieu Hospital, Kingston General Hospital and Providence Care - own the University Hospitals Kingston Foundation. Like shareholders, the hospital's foundations are the Members of our Foundations board.
- Do the hospitals still have their own foundations?
Yes. The difference between the University Hospitals Kingston Foundation and our "General Member Foundations" (Kingston General Hospital Foundation, Providence Care Foundation and the Jeanne Mance Foundation at Hotel Dieu Hospital) is really about ownership and activity. Our Foundation staff carries out activities such as soliciting major gifts, applying for foundation grants, running special events, sending direct mail appeals, marketing opportunities to give through Wills, and issuing tax receipts. All the donations received by our Foundation are turned over to the hospital's foundations, which invest and distribute these funds according to the needs of their hospitals. The hospital foundations also report back to donors on how their contributions have been used. The money raised by our Foundation is distributed to the hospitals using an agreed upon sharing formula.
- Why have a single fundraising organization?
The hospitals' foundations decided to come together and create a joint fundraising program to bring the most community financial support into our local health care system in the most efficient way. The staff of the UHK Foundation is made up of fundraising professionals, most of whom worked for the individual hospital foundations before the UHK Foundation was established. In the time since our Foundations officially began working together, our combined donation revenues have increased substantially.
- Where can I find UHKF’s Annual Reports?
Click here for our Year-end Update and the annual reports for Kingston's hospitals.
- Where can I find UHKF’s Financial Statement?
Click here for our Financial Statement
- Why does it look different from most foundations financial statements?
Our financial statement looks different because most Foundations report on their fund balances, but UHKF disburses all funds raised to its General Members, so it has no fund balances to report on. Every year its net income is $0. We have also included the General Members financial statements.
- How do I view UHKF’s Registered Charitable Return
Click here to find our Registered Charitable Return filed with the Canada Revenue Agency. It includes Detailed Financial Information and Disbursements to Qualified Donees.
- Who is on your Board of Directors?
Click here to find a list of our Board of Directors.
- Where can I find copies of UHKF’s Policies affecting my gift?
Click here to see our Privacy, Gift Acceptance and Investment policies. Because UHKF disburses all funds raised it has no long term investments. For information on other specific policies please contact the office at 613-549-5452.