Staff Lottery Frequently Asked Questions
Please note, a full list of rules and regulations is provided with the enrollment form.
1. Who can join the staff lottery?
The staff lottery is voluntary and open to all employees, physicians, staff, and registered volunteers.
2. How much are tickets and how can they be purchased?
- Hotel Dieu Hospital, Kingston General Hospital and Providence Care will provide payroll deduction to employees who wish to enroll in the voluntary Staff Lottery. A total of five dollars is deducted from each pay.
- Non-salaried employees, registered volunteers and associated employees are eligble to participate in the Staff Lottery by purchasing their tickets directly from UHKF by means of cheque or cash in the amount of one hundred and thirty dollars ($130) which represents 12 months’ participation. Enrolment through this process will be continuous until the tickets paid for have run out.
3. Will I receive a charitable receipt?
- No, because the purchase involves the chance to win a prize, ticket purchases are not considered a charitable donation.
4. How many tickets are printed?
- A set number of tickets will not be printed. Only tickets sold will be entered in the draw. That is if 2,000 tickets are sold, each ticket holder will have a 1 in 2,000 chance to win each draw. There must be 400 tickets sold for any given draw for UHKF to continue the lottery.
5. When and where will the draws take place?
Draws will be held every two weeks commencing April 10th, 2013 on a five-draw rotating basis. Here are the anticipated locations for the remainder of 2013:
- April 10 & 24, May 8 & 22, June 5 – The Atrium, KGH
- June 19, July 3, 17 & 31, Aug. 14 – Hotel Dieu
- Aug. 28, Sept. 11 & 25, Oct. 9 & 23 – St. Mary’s of the Lake cafeteria, Providence Care
- Nov. 6 & 20, Dec. 4, 18 & 31 – UHKF office, 55 Rideau
6. What does the money get used for?
- Funds from the staff lottery will be shared by the hospitals and directed back in support of patient care.
7. How do I know if I am a winner?
- All winners will be notified by telephone and e-mail. Ticket numbers of bi-weekly winners are posted on the UHKF website within a few days of the draw. Winners may also be listed on the intranet.
8. How do I collect my winnings?
- A cheque will be presented to the winner within a couple days of the draws. Winners names and photos may also be listed in hospital internal publications.
9. Can I win more than once?
- Yes, one ticket is eligible for all draws schedule after the time of purchase. Only one ticket may be purchased by an eligible staff member for each draw.
10. Can I enter more than once per draw?
- No, each staff member is only able to enter once per draw (to a maximum of $5.00 deduction per draw). If you are employed at multiple participating hospitals, you may only enter from one of the participating hospitals.
11. Who will be making the draw?
- A staff member of the UHKF will randomly select the winner. UHKF staff members are ineligible to participate in the staff lottery. This person will have no other involvement with the lottery.
Payroll Deduction Questions:
12. How much is the payroll deduction?
- Payroll deduction is a $5.00 deduction from each pay cheque.
13. What if my employment status changes?
- Any changes in employment status will reflect a change in payment schedules. In the case that someone who wishes to enroll in the Lottery does not have sufficient funds on their cheque to be deducted for the Staff Lottery, their name will NOT be placed in that particular draw. Staff will also be excluded from the draw during unpaid periods, but will not be automatically withdrawn from the lottery.
If someone provides an invalid payment (NSF cheque, etc.), they are ineligible for the prize, even if their name is drawn.